Monday, November 26, 2012

Spotlight on and Interview with James Lacey Author of Perserverance


Perseverance: A Zombie Tale
James Lacey

Publisher: 23 House Publishing
Pages: 324

Genre: Horror

Book Description

It didn't happen the way it was supposed to...

I am a teacher. At least, I was before it all happened, before I was forced to survive. I taught social studies at the high school. I was also the coach of the school's successful debate team. It was a cold Saturday in January when I heard the first rumor of trouble...

You know, pop culture had defined the zombie apocalypse time and time again, all coming from the minds of horror writers, film producers, and video game designers. Who knew that when it really happened, it wouldn't be anything like they all predicted. Oh sure, the dead reanimated, and they were certainly hungry for living flesh...but what were the mysterious red-eyes, zombies that moved faster than their stumbling counterparts and seemed to not only communicate, but to exert some kind of control over the others.


"James Lacey takes the classic zombie story that we all know and love, and then twists it off into the new directions and unexplored territory. Perseverance is fresh, exciting, and edge-of-the-seat spell-binding."

- Samantha Murphy, 13 Nights of Blood: Legends of the Vampire



Before we get to the interview take a peek at this fun video James povided for us today:



Now on to the Interview with James Lacey


What inspired you to write your first book?

Perseverance started out as a short story.  As people who read it kept asking me what would have happened next, then it continued to grow.  Eventually I had a full-length novel on my hands, which was pretty exciting.  The original short story was inspired by watching a friend of mine and just wondering how he would handle it when the apocalypse strikes.

How did you come up with the title?

That was definitely one of the harder parts of completing the novel.  I knew it had to be one word, and I knew that word needed to describe a key element of the novel.  Throughout the story, the hero is struggling to survive in this world overrun by the undead.  I literally sat down with a thesaurus (a bound copy, not online) and looked at words related to struggle.  As soon as I read “persevere,” I knew I had my title.

What book are you reading now?

The nerd in me needed to reread The Hobbit before Peter Jackson takes it to the silver screen next month.  Once that is done I will be reading The Glass Parachute.  It is a collection of science fiction short stories.  Usually science fiction isn’t really what I’m into, but a friend I used to work with, S.C. Wade (www.scwade.com) has two of his stories in it, so I’m really excited to check it out.

What are your current projects?

If you’ve seen my website then you know that my friends and I put together a parody of “Call Me, Maybe” with zombies.  We’re working on another parody video now.  And I’ve been slowly working on some bonus content for the book to feature online.

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.

My best friend, Wes, has been one of my biggest supporters.  Aside from being one of the select few who read the first draft,

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

This was my first, and even though there are some things here and there that I’m not over-the-top excited for, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Finding the time to write is always a struggle for anyone who writes.  When I’m not writing, I work with special needs children and adults and I am working on a Master’s degree in Applied Behavior Analysis.  It’s been a very busy few months.  I like when I get time off from work and school, because it lets me focus more on my favorite hobby.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

This industry is really tough, and you can’t ever give up and get discouraged if you expect to see your book published.  It took me way more time to find a willing publisher than it did to write the first draft of the book.  And even after I found one, it still took over a year and half before the book was on sale. I had over 30 rejections before I finally got the nod from 23 House, and I’m really grateful to them that they gave my work a chance.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

I found more success in writing for myself then I did writing for others.  Sure, it’s great to get feedback, but what happens in a story needs to be what you want to happen, not what others think.  I think a big league example is Mockingjay, the third book in the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.  I know a lot of people who really did not enjoy that novel or how the story developed, but I give Mrs. Collins And lot of respect for not giving people what they wanted or expected.  She wrote what she felt should happen.

A Fun Fact About James:

What is your favorite type of food?

I hope this doesn’t make me sound boring, but I’ve been on this kick lately where I have just been loving different types of bread.  I might even buy a bread maker and try to make some myself.


About the Author:

James Lacey lives in the Pocono Mountains of Northeastern Pennsylvania.  When not writing, he works with disabled adults and children as a paraprofessional and Special Olympics coach.  James also enjoys hiking, camping and watching football.


Barnes and Noble   Amazon

"James Lacey takes the classic zombie story that we all know and love, and then twists it off into the new directions and unexplored territory. Perseverance is fresh, exciting, and edge-of-the-seat spell-binding."

- Samantha Murphy, 13 Nights of Blood: Legends of the Vampire

http://www.jameslacey.net/

www.twitter.com/JLaceyWrites
















0 comments:

Post a Comment