Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Please Welcome Emma Michaels Author and Founder of the Writer's Voice Blogspot


Hello Muses and Fallen Friends,

    Today I have part one of a visit from a girl who is both a talented author and the owner of one of the web's fastest growing online resources for writers. Her name is Emma Michaels and I'm extremely excited about having her on my blog today. Not only did she allow me to join her roster of talented authors that contribute to her blog, but she also works tirelessly to make sure aspiring writers and even readers have freshly updated content to review on a daily basis. So without further hesitation, I now hand the floor over to Emma Michaels.





My name is Emma Michaels and I am the founder of The Writers Voice which hosts an amazing team of authors from around the web.

You can find us at http://OurBooksOurVoice.Blogspot.com



Where were you born and where do you call home?
I was born in Los Angeles, CA but now call Washington State home.

How long have you been blogging?
My personal blog started in 2009 and I haven’t looked back!

What is the name of the book you most recently blogged about?
My own current release, Owlet, coming up October 13th! Before that I believe it was Dehumanized by Michael Loring and Insight by Jamie Magee.

What did you think about the cover?
For Owlet, I love it… in fact. I created it thanks to having already been the current cover artist for Tribute Books when I submitted :-p I also did the cover for Dehumanized but for Insight by Jamie Magee, I absolutely LOVE the cover. I remember the original and have a definite preference to this one.

If you could ask the Author 3 questions what would they be?
I would ask Jamie what past historical figure most inspired her, what her current favorite band is and to describe that moment when she knew she wanted to write a novel.

Can you name one of your favorite chapters?
Yes. I absolutely loved the third chapter. The pacing is so fantastic that I just couldn’t put it down!

What was your most favorite character and why?
I am tied between Landen and Drake :-p

If this book was part of a series, would you read the next book?
YES.

Was this a book you were asked to review or did you buy it?
I was given a copy but not to review. I also ended up purchasing it because I prefer to read kindle editions.

Have you written a book yourself or are you planning to in the future?
Yes, I have written two series and have a few more novels in the works. My ‘A Sense of Truth’ series is published with Bokheim Publishing and my ‘Society of Feathers’ series (first book coming out this October 13th!) is published with Tribute Books.

What genre is your favorite and why?
I love the category YA but in terms of genres I would have to say fantasy. There is just something about a good fantasy novel that sweeps me off my feet.

If you were shipwrecked on a desert island what 3 books would you want with you?
The Bible. It is long and has tons of parables and things that would be thought provoking so I wouldn’t go mad. Can I sound the Harry Potter series as one book? I guess I would just have to hope they come out with all of them in one collectable volume :-p Third would be Eona, I am in the middle of reading it and if I didn’t get to finish I would always want to know how it ended. I can’t stand leaving a book I have really enjoyed unfinished.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
Many. I am especially curious about Dia Reeves. I love Bleeding Violet and would love to get to meet the author behind it. There are also so many others! I would love to meet my fellow The Writers Voice authors!

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
Kindle e-books. I find that reading e-books from the Kindle app on my iPad has not only saved time but also frees up my hands so that I can enjoy a great story while also doing something else at the same time. Even if at intense moments I forget that anything but the book exists. :-p

Where do you prefer to buy your books?
Amazon. I used to be local indie bookstores all the way but then they all shut down and now I would have to drive well over an hour and a half to even get to a large chain book store so digital has really made a difference.

Have you ever read a book more than once?
Yes. Many times. I love to reread novels I enjoy. I have reread each of Tamora Pierces books who knows how many times, I reread the Harry Potter series, The Fault in our Stars by John Green is also the type of book you just read over and over again and cherish every word.

Is there a particular movie or TV series that you preferred over the book version?
Don’t say a word. Movie won.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
Eona by Alison Goodman in Kindle e-book.

What book are you about to start reading?
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Witch Eyes by Scott Tracey or the anthology Enthralled.

What book do you know that you will never read?
I can’t think of a book I wouldn’t at least give a shot to. It would have to be something that I would find offensive.

Are there any new Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why?
Many, though especially Michael Loring, who made his debut this year.

Have you read a book that you would like to rewrite the ending of?
I would say yes except I feel like it would be wrong, if the author wrote it then it is the ending to the story they have told and I like having the endings they choose be unadulterated. Recently I heard about an author who was asked to change the ending because of who her main character was going to end up with and I just didn’t like that choice. I feel like having it changed took away from the story; it was no longer the true ending but a contrived one.

What are your thoughts on book trailers?
I love them. I have a playlist for them on YouTube and try to keep up with the latest fads and the publishers who put them out, especially for YA novels.

Do you have a favorite book cover? Chose up to 3 if you like.
The unbecoming of Mara Dyer, The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray and Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld.

Do you ever blog in your PJ’s?
Yes. I love PJs… I would spend all day in them if I worked from home... oh wait. I can. Why don’t I buy more PJs? I can’t believe I just realized this. I could have night PJs and day PJs!

Sleep in or get up early?
Get up early.

Pet peeves?
Hate and any type of clear dismissal of the feelings or emotions of others.

What did Santa bring you?
Santas forgot about me. It was sad. But luckily, my fiance’s mom didn’t and cooked a Yule log which chocolate and mocha frosting. :D


If you could plan the perfect holiday, what would it be?
I have always wanted to go to Europe or Asia. I think any vacation would really be more of an adventure for me. I am not very good at sitting still and just relaxing which is why I haven’t take a vacation so far.

How often do you blog?
There are posts on The Writers Voice daily, my personal blog gets daily posts around releases and then posts about 4 times a month on off seasons.

How many books do you read in a month - roughly?
Wow. Anywhere from 23 to 1 depending on how much time I have and how many I can afford.

Favorite color?
Pink (Wonderful Choice, hehehe)

What are 5 items you never leave home without.
My inhaler, my iPad, some water, my fiancé and for some reason I almost always keep a banana in my purse just for incase. I remember someone commenting on it and I always wish I had responded with a comment about never knowing when you will run into a flying monkey but hadn’t thought of it soon enough so told the truth, I worry someone will get hungry.

What is your most favorite electronic gadget?
My iPad. I can work on my cover art the way I love to, using a stylus the way I have always used a pen and have my book collection at my finger tips.

Favorite book character or film character crush.
Uhhhh… this might sound weird but I don’t get book crushes. I am one of those girls where if a guy is taken then they are completely off limits to even think about and since I am taken and planning on staying with said person the rest of my life I tend to view everyone else differently. He is like my other half and even fictional men probably couldn’t live up to how well we work together.

And Now Some Other, eh-em Tidbits about Emma

A character you love to hate in what book/TV show or movie.
Umbridge… she almost ruined the color pink for me.

Cats or dogs?
Dogs

White wine or red?
Red though I don’t drink alcohol very often. Maybe once a year or so I will try one glass of something new.

Coffee or tea?
Tea (green, earl gray, lady gray, peppermint or English breakfast tea)

Favorite food?
Chinese food. Especially hot and sour soup.

Vanilla or chocolate ice cream?
CHOCOLATE! Yummmmm.

What is a movie or TV show that you watched recently and really enjoyed?
Doctor Who. I love that show.

What scares you?
Rejection, deaths of those I love and that my health might one day completely fail unexpectedly.

Where can we STALK you?

My blog: http://OurBooksOurVoice.Blogspot.com  or www.EmmaMichaels.com
My facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/emma.michaels.90
My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4104941.Emma_Michaels
Twitter: @EmmaMichaels


Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview with the Muse and allowing us a glimpse into your blogging world. And thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of the the talented Writer's Voice Group.

Thank you for having me! It was a pleasure and I loved the questions!!!

Emma will return next week for an author interview where we'll be highlighting her books. Tomorrow get ready for visit #2 from the Never Too Old For Young Adult Group's lovely moderators when Sylvia Afarian Hientz will be dropping by to talk about her life as one of goodreads' top reviewers!

Yours in Prose,
KayLeigh

2 comments:

Tribute Books said...

What a great interview with Emma! Thanks KayLeigh :)

KaSonndra Leigh said...

You're very welcome. Emma is a great and dedicated person. I love to support other author/bloggers who give back to others in such a way. Thx for stopping by Tribute Books and twitter friend.

Post a Comment