Thursday, August 16, 2012

Promotional Spotlight and Interview with Karen Y. Bynum Author of Witch Way to Turn


Witch Way to Turn
By Karen Y. Bynum
Witch Way Series Book #1

Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Lyrical Press, Inc.
Date of ePublication: August 6, 2012
Print: October 1st

ISBN: 9781616503994
Number of pages: epub 237
Word Count: 78,000


Blurb/Book Description:

Can you give one guy your heart and another your soul?

The last thing eighteen-year-old Breena Cross needs in her life is more complications. It’s all she can do to balance studying, working, trying to keep her foster-sister safe and drooling over the new guy at work. But things go from complicated to crazy when a fit of rage ignites the dark magic inside her and she finds herself fending off the supernatural underworld.

Myles, Breena’s drool-worthy coworker and vampire convict, is carrying a load of secrets--one of which is that he’s fang-over-lip in love with Breena and in danger of violating the terms of his sentence.

Orin is a soul-hungry assassin sent to kill Breena. However, he takes one look into her eyes and sees his own lost humanity. For once thinking of someone other than himself, he chooses not to end her life, even though it means risking his own.

Despite a convict and an assassin fighting over her, all Breena wants is custody of her sister. But to do this, she will need help from both Myles and Orin. And if Breena doesn’t learn to control the darkness within, she could lose her sister…forever.

WARNING: Contains strong language and some graphic content.


Meet the Author:




Karen Y. Bynum is an author of young adult paranormal fantasy.  Her novel Witch Way to Turn is published through Lyrical Press.  She grew up in Hickory, North Carolina where mountains and magic surrounded her.  Even as a child, she wrote her own faery tales and prattled incessantly to her imaginary friends.
After graduating from UNC Charlotte with a Bachelor’s degree in Mass Media Communications, she went on to become certified in culinary arts from The Art Institute of Charlotte.  But it wasn’t until her aerospace engineer husband accepted a job in Virginia and they relocated that she knew what she wanted to be when she grew up.
With the support of family and friends, Karen embarked on a journey with the voices in her head.  They wouldn’t stop talking (yes, she does answer back) and their stories took shape.
Karen currently lives in coastal Virginia and enjoys reading, tweeting, writing and spending time with her husband and their spoiled rotten Vizsla named Rusty.

Let's Take a Moment to Get to Know Ms. Bynum on a More Personal Level:

Hi y’all! J Thank you so much for having me here today!

 

How did you come up with the title?

I knew that Breena Cross was a witch from the moment I started the book, and then as I began to write I realized she was going to have to choose between these two hot supernaturals. Which way…ya know? I was about a chapter in when the title came to me. BAM. Just like that. Once it did, that was it. I was so happy that Lyrical Press loved the title too and let me keep it. Sometimes titles get changed by publishing houses. That’s something I’ve learned along the way. J

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Excellent question! Definitely. My catch phrase—fate be damned—really sums up the theme of my books… Just because life is cold and dark right now doesn’t mean it has to stay that way. Many times our own outlook on life can change things. Breena comes from a very harsh background. She was in foster care her entire childhood and was abused both physically and mentally. Through everything, she remained hopeful. Even during her darkest hours, she searched for that light. Things may not always go our way, but we determine how we will respond to them. A positive outlook goes a long way.

What book are you reading now?
Right now, I’m reading Witch Way to Turn! teeheehee I know, I’ve only read it like a thousand times already. J This time is the finished version. What other people are/will be reading.  I’m just so excited!!
My next read is an adult paranormal romance by Kristine Overbrook. I’ve heard wonderful things about this book and am so looking forward to it! The title is Creatures of the Moon! What a cool title!
Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

What are your current projects?

Currently I’m writing the second book in the Witch Way series. I’m over halfway done. Breena thought things were complicated before…uh, watch out! 

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.

I look to God daily and am so thankful for His provision in my life. My life isn’t perfect by any means, but He has blessed me far beyond what I deserve. He has brought amazing people into my life. They know who they are, and I’m just so grateful for their support and encouragement.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Since it’s book #2 in the Witch Way series, I don’t want to give anything away! lol So how about I share a little of my completed demon-slaying unicorn story? J The title is Running From Shadows and is about a unicorn shifter who must choose to kill the boy she loves to protect her coven from the shadow demon who lusts after her soul.

Here’s a little snippet of when Greta first meets Pax…

Suddenly, the sky seemed to shift. Darkness sped toward me. Goddess, it had wings… And talons. I turned to run and it crashed into me, driving me face first to the ground and pinning me down with its cold weight. This was it. My punishment. Justice, finally.
There was a white hot agony along my shoulder blade. I didn’t fight. I deserved this. She shouldn’t have died. It should’ve been me.
Darkness pushed into me, ripped at my insides, filled me up. I welcomed death.
Seconds later, I was scooped up into strong arms, held tight in an embrace that instantly made me feel safe, made me feel…home.
“Who are you?” I asked, and even I could hear the edge of wonder in my voice.
He looked down at me and his eyes were silvered by moonlight, and familiar somehow. The world spun around us. There was a name caught like a promise between teeth and tongue, just out of reach. Then he looked away, and it was just me and this strange boy, who’d come out of nowhere and…picked me up.
“Who are you?” This time the edge had turned to anger. Suspicion. Thank Goddess.
His gaze shifted from surveying the forest to me. I shivered. “The guy who’s saving your ass.”

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Yes, definitely. I read once that however long it takes you to write a book, it will take you twice as long to get it ready to query. Well, of course, I didn’t believe that. LOL Now I know… It’s true. At least it was for me with Witch Way to Turn. The book went through three major rewrites before Lyrical Press snatched it up. Once I finish writing a book now, I know that it’s not really done. Not yet. J I’m learning patience…the hard way. lol


What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing it to life?

Finding the time to write is a HUGE challenge. I work a full-time day job at city hall, so it’s not always easy to be in the perfect writing-state-of-mind. I’ve found a few ways to squeeze time in though! I’ve been getting up at 4:30AM for the past four years (Monday through Friday) before work to write. Recently, I’ve been using my lunch break at work to write as well. This has definitely helped me reach my goal of a writing a thousand words per day.

What is your favorite type of food?
Oh wow! If you follow me on Twitter, you know I LOVE food. Pretty much any food is great with me. My favorite food though would have to be anything breakfast related…especially biscuits and gravy or chocolate chip pancakes. With coffee, of course!
Who is your favorite book boyfriend?

Do you have a song that you'd consider the theme for your novel?
I love this question! Definitely “Bleeding Love” by Leona Lewis. Each of the two sexy supernatural boys who are vying for Breena’s attention has their own theme song too…
Orin’s – “Wait for You” by Elliott Yamin
Myles’s – “Burnin’ for You” by Blue Oyster Cult


Thank you for visiting with the Seraphine Muse today. We look forward to reading Witch Way to Turn. I know that it's definitely on my list of to-read and reviews. Feel free to stop by anytime and good luck with your release.


You can connect with Karen Bynum at the following online sites:

4 comments:

karen Y. bynum said...

Hi Kay Leigh!

Thank you so much for having me on your blog today :) Really enjoyed the interview!

Faithfully writing,
~karen

Melissa Limoges said...

Ha! Awesome interview, you guys! And I loved your catch phrase, Karen. Wishing you tons of success on your release! :)

KaSonndra Leigh said...

Hi Karen and Melissa,

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoyed having a fellow southern belle visit my blog today. Good luck with your release!

karen Y. bynum said...

Aww, thanks ladies! This was such a fun interview. Great questions, Kay Leigh!

Thanks, Melissa! My catch phrase just kind of happened by accident one night because I wanted one for my blog... I was just writing random words that I liked until I started thinking about the theme of my stories and poof! ;)

Post a Comment