Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Spotlight on Morbid Seraphic Editor and Author S.K. Whiteside

Hello Muses and Fallen Friends,

    Today our spotlight on the authors of the Morbid Seraphic Anthology continues with a very special guest: Author S.K. Whiteside who not only has two featured stories in the anthology (Fallen from Grace and Haunted), but she is also the editor. If you enjoy romantic seraphic encounters and stories with conflict created from a need for revenge, then you'll enjoy these two gems. My rating for Fallen from Grace and Haunted: 


S.K. Whiteside is a writer of Paranormal/Fantasy, Horror, and Suspense. As a full time Mental Health Counselor, she started writing in Academia but decided writing about things on the “other side of the veil” was a lot more interesting. Living in the Paranormal capital of the world makes it fairly easy for her to come up with characters, many of which are based off of real personas in her life that are so vibrant they can’t help but carry over into her writing. 

S.K. Whiteside is a Fiction Weaver and World Creator. It just so happens that the worlds she creates are often filled with things that go bump in the night. A New Orleanian at heart, the Deep South often serves as the setting for her Paranormal Tales of the unknown. Her Charismatic characters and snarky banter often derive from the various personas of those she loves and the voices in her head. When not writing she spends her time telling everyone else in the world that they are completely bonkers but yet she often channels Napoleon Bonaparte. 

During her down time she pokes at the massive giant whom holds her captive and runs from two monsters that she swears are out to kill her. Some people call them her husband and children but she knows the truth...


Let's Take the Time to Speak One on One with Our Author and Editor Extraordinaire 


SM: What inspired you to write your first book?
Actually it was my Professor in Graduate School’s idea…sort of. She loved my writing style and the things I had to say for each of the scholarly papers I wrote. Having published a few textbooks and scholarly research articles she thought I should look into getting published. I thought she was crazy but, after I finished my Master’s I found I still had a lot to say but now had no outlet to say it. I started off blogging as a way to “clear my head” so I could focus on other things. The blogging lead to reviewing where I met and befriended a lot of authors. A few mentioned to me that they loved my reviews and told me I had found my unique voice. I thought I should give my professors suggestion a go. I am pretty damn sure Paranormal Fantasy, Horror, and Psycho Thrillers were not what she had in mind.
SM: Do you have a specific writing style?
If I had to come up with one word to describe my writing style, it would be snarky. I like my characters to have a morbid or dark sense of humor despite their adversity or internal struggle. To me, it makes them all the more interesting. My snarkiest character, Malachi, ended up being the most popular.

SM: How did you come up with the title?
I am a word game JUNKIE. Whenever I think of title or wannabe title, I go through a list of synonyms in my head until something just grabs me. Morbid Seraphic is about the Dark side of all things Divine so naturally Morbid Seraphic just kind of hit me. It describes the stories included with precision.

SM: Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Just because something sparkles doesn’t mean it’s the only thing out there. Stop neglecting other creatures to follow a trend. If its “Dark” you are looking for, everything has a dark side…including the Divine.

SM: Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Sort of…yes. Actually for my story, Malachi actually was supposed to be a bad guy in my full novel “Guardian of the Gate.” Then when my son’s Tae Kwon Do instructor heard I was writing it, he said, “You should make me a character.” He was joking – at least I think he was, but it actually made sense. This guy is the snarky, and so arrogant (but in a funny way) that you can’t help but love him. I thought the character was lacking originally but with his personality it completely reshaped him. Of course then I couldn’t make him a bad guy so instead I made him a bad ass. The stories pertaining to him in Morbid show his origins.

SM: What books have most influenced your life most?
The Vampire LeStat by Anne Rice, Harry Potter, Comics and Graphic Novels of course, and all books based on Egyptian Mythology. I am an Egyptian Mythology junkie.

SM: If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Too many to choose from because so many have actually mentored me, so I won’t.

SM: What book are you reading now?
I actually just got finished reading my Crit Partner’s book Corpus Brides #2 (Zee Monodee), and Last Breath by Rachel Caine.

SM: Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
*Shameful Plug* I would have to say Nathan Squiers, Jenna Kay, and Kyani Swanigan. I love their writing style.

SM: What are your current projects?
Well, I have a short coming out this summer called VEXED an eBook. Then I have the full length novel “Book of Malachi” and Thicker than Water coming out in August and October all of which are with Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing. Guardian of the Gate is still presently being re-worked.

SM: Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
My Kick Ass Publisher S.J. Davis.

SM: If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
Not one damned thing.

SM: Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Deadlines…definitely deadlines (lol)

SM: Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Oh geez *bites lip*, there are too many. I think I have a favorite author in every genre and each for a different reason.

SM: Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?
Not at present. Maybe if I reach J.K. Rowling status (hint, hint devil meet soul).

SM: Who designed the covers?
The lovely and FANTASTIC ParaGraphic Designs.

SM: What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Staying within the word count.

SM: Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
You always learn something from your characters. Most of the time its self reflective but you ALWAYS come away with something.

SM: Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Of course…THANK YOU.

SM: What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing it to life?
I don’t think there were many challenges to bring it to life. Once I had the concept, it kind of took on a life of its own. I am hoping that the other stories flow as easily.
SM: What is your favorite type of food?
Anything Italian.
SM: Who is your favorite book boyfriend?
Oh that’s easy. Either Dimitri from Vampire Academy or Shane from Morganville Vampires. I love wise ass guys.
SM: Do you have a song that you'd consider the theme for your novel?
Bury Me – The Kill by 30 Seconds to Mars
SM: Do you have any advice for other writers?

SM: Can you share a little of your current work with us?
"Isira let out a deep breath as she walked past the river. Her billowing long black hair neatly extended in a single braid down her back. She was growing tired. Not physically, but rather, emotionally and spiritually. You would never know it by looking at her directly. Her smooth caramel skin remained flawless and free from blemish, her unbelievably silken black hair bore no grey, and her petite fit body was that of a nubile young woman versus the thousands of years old Goddess that she was. As together as she looked on the outside, she was completely undone inside. Staying on Earth too long generally had that effect on her. She would have find some time to get back to the pantheon and recharge. Whatever she did, she needed to make sure it was soon. Mankind needed her now more than ever. The fight she had been waiting for, for centuries was coming to fruition."
-Vexed 

 Here are a few places where you can find S.K. Whiteside online:
Author website:  www.skwhiteside.com

Write. No matter what…write. Rejections will come, you will think its crap, and years may pass but, WRITE ANYWAY.

0 comments:

Post a Comment