Thursday, May 31, 2012

Spotlight on Morbid Seraphic Contributing Author Dominique Goodall

Hello Fallen Friends,

Welcome to Day 4 of our spotlight on the wickedly talented contributing authors of the Morbid Seraphic Anthology by Crushing Hearts & Black Butterfly Publishing. Today I'm happy to have author Dominique Goodall visiting the Seraphine Muse. She is the author of the short story From Hell, a horror short story.

If you're a fan of werewolves with a touch of horror woven into the mix, then you'll love Ms. Goodall's story. Get prepared to be frightened, but intrigued. And when you get to the surprise ending, there's a moral waiting to be discovered that should carry with you for some time after finishing it.

I admired the guts of Ms. Goodall's story. She does not mind being mean to her characters. But she still manages to show the humane side of them at the same time, a balance that many writers struggle to achieve. Read From Hell and don't forget to turn out the lights as you do. I dare you.

My rating: 4 wings







SM: What inspired you to write your first book?


Oddly enough, it was a program about dogs in the womb that I saw on TV. They explored the history of wolves- and oddly enough the first character and his introduction fell out fully formed. It was left to simmer for a long while before NaNoWriMo 2011 came around and I was inspired to write and finish it. It was the best thing I’ve ever written, and so far I have a lot more ideas on what I’d like to write in the future. (After finishing the series, as Echoes of Winter isn’t a standalone novel.)
My story for Morbid Seraphic was completely different- featuring demonic canines in a satanistic ritual which was fun – mainly because I was able to explore the darker side of my mind, and create a story which is ultimately about the betrayal of trust. You should never trust a creature that’ll eat you as soon as look at you- even with the sacrifice of someone a lot darker than you are.

SM: How did you come up with the title?

From Hell is the title of my Morbid Seraphic story, named for the fact that the mixtemque and hellhounds which feature are from there. The creatures mentioned are formidable, true foes of each other and all those who appeal to them for power which they never receive. Echoes of Winter is the sort of title I wanted for my novel, as it opened up a series for me with like-themed names. I’ve always loved names which do tell you what features, in a rather unusual name as long as it fits in well with the scene.
What books have most influenced your life most?

I was influenced by David Clement-Davies and William Horwood, both writers who have also worked well to write books with wolves featuring as a large part. It was David Clement-Davies who inspired me to try and write initially, bringing my love of wolves to life properly. Stephen King and Dean Koontz are the only other authors that I really enjoy reading, as both create storylines which are darker and more likely to twist the mind than others.

SM: Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Jess Owen has, the author of the novel The Song of the Summer King, due out this summer. She has set scenes up where there aren’t humans, where the animals rule supreme and where all the characters, like my own, have been made to be more anthromorphic. Mia Castile is also a new author, her first book, Generation I really caught my attention- enough so that when I had to message her and ask how long until the sequel!

SM: Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I learned that I could actually put my mind to it, and create a story that is almost scary in its intensity. I’m a great believer in all things to do with canines and writing personalities for characters, along with maintaining quirks, voice and personality in a variety of ways over so many characters for however long the story demands being written for. I also learned that some characters will take hold of the story and drag it the way they want to go- making you their bitch until they are satisfied.

SM: What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing it to life?

Research wise, my main challenge was in retaining the elements of believability in my writing. Despite writing certain parts, in any manuscript I’ve had to keep things realistic. Echoes of Winter contains wolves which are bigger than those we see now, but still about right for the environments. Literary wise, I’ve had to make sure that nothing I’ve written is plagiarizing someone else has worked on.

My only problem psychologically was making sure to keep the mood appropriate and make sure that the right characters get hated. There is nothing worse than hating a character then realizing they are the hero.

SM: Do you have any advice for other writers?


Always try. It doesn’t matter if you work or not, everyone can write a book. Make sure you don’t just leave it hanging though. If you feel it could be published…then apply, apply and apply. You WILL get there eventually, and if you don’t then after X amount of rejections…just review your manuscript. Enjoy what you write. That’s the essential part of things; always remember to have fun with what you right! If you don’t enjoy it, no one else will!

SM: Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Be honest. If you like something that I’ve written, find me and tell me. I’m available just about anywhere- be it on Facebook, twitter or on a blog.




And Now Ms. Goodall has a special treat for us. An excerpt from her upcoming novel.


Here is part of Spring Surrender, book two for Seasons of the Wolf.

‘It must have been a dream. That’s all the she-wolf could think as she walked through the still forest, filled only with the scents of her pack. She could almost see them running ahead of her, the soft fur of the two twins, Apollo and Artemis, glowing in the light from the moon. Baker was ahead with them, the tan outlines on her legs flashing in front of her eyes, Frazer’s heavier body alongside her own, Jessie and Vhenan just behind her. She was awash in her pack, the scents and sounds stilling her mind so her body could perform effortlessly.

It was only when she felt the sudden wash of breeze against her fur that she actually woke up. She growled softly before standing up and stretching, stepping over Jessie so she could go and drink. As she bent her head to the stream, she paused before drinking, looking at the changes in her body. She’d gained weight and confidence, and it showed in the way she held herself.

After she sated the stirrings of hunger in her stomach with the water, she shook. There was something…satisfying about a shake when you’d just woken up. When Singer sneezed, she inhaled water from where she was perched too close to the water. She frowned afterwards as water dripped from her chin, and she shivered. A paw swiped across the damp fur dealt with that – and it was then that she felt the tiniest tug on that innate leash, tying her to this area.

A pic of a few of Ms. Goodall's writing buddies:



Thank you, Dominique, for taking the time to connect with the Seraphine Muse's wonderful readers today. I wish you the best of luck in all of your writing endeavors and feel free to come back and visit us anytime!


If you'd like to find out more about Author Dominique Goodall, she can be found on the following sites:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WaterSinger

Author page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dominique-Goodall-author/250907358312446

The page for Echoes of Winter: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Echoes-of-Winter/355235744499607

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/DomGoodall

Blog: http://dominiquegoodall.wordpress.com/


6 comments:

goldensylph said...

Kay...I tweeted and promoted your blog. I also joined it via Google Friend connect. i blew over from Dominick's thread on the Koda pg on FB.

Anyway, my blog is http://www.thefatandtheskinnyonwellness.com/2012/06/audra-mcdonald-accepting-her-award.html

Return the favor and join the blog? That would be soooo awesome. Appreciate your enthusiasm.

Ciao for now,
Carole Di Tosti

goldensylph said...

I'm exhausted. Just got in from an Anthony Bourdain (No Reservations on Cable...huge following...writer of Kitchen Confidential) talk. Can't believe I misspelled Dominique's name incorrectly. Dominique Water Singer. Whew.

goldensylph said...

Dominique WaterSinger Goodall

KaSonndra Leigh said...

Thanks for stopping by and supporting Dominique! I recognize you as my twitter friend!

Big Hugz,
KaSonndra

David P Perlmutter said...

Just love your blog, what content and colour, just amazing, so now I am following....

Fancy following me at http://thewrongplaceatthewrongtime.blogspot.pt/

I will for sure be coming back here....

KaSonndra Leigh said...

Aww. Thx so much David. I wanted my readers to have a fun and memorable experience when visiting. I'm glad you stopped by and I'll also be coming your way too here in a bit.

Hugz,
Kay

Post a Comment