Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Spotlight on Morbid Seraphic Author Jana Boskey


Hello Fallen Friends,

    Welcome to Day 3 of our spotlight on the wickedly talented contributing authors of the Morbid Seraphic Anthology by Crushing Hearts & Black Butterfly Publishing. Today I'm happy to have author Jana Boskey visiting the Seraphine Muse. She is the author of the short story For Death. If you're a fan of retellings of mythological tales then you'll adore Ms. Boskey's version of Hades and Persephone's life post-kinda happy ending. There's battles, emotional struggles, sacrifice, and of course...romance. Ahh. In my opinion, the characters in this story could move on to bigger battles and troubles in a series. There was so much room left over for expansion at the end, that you will also find yourself writing to Ms. Boskey and asking for more.

My rating of Jana's story For Death...


Interview with Author Jana Boskey

SM: Do you have a specific writing style? 

I won’t lie to you, I’m not really sure if I have a specific writing style. I go back and forth between POV’s, I use a bunch of different wording, to me it almost seems that each story I write is so vastly different from the other in terms of style. I’m not entirely sure what it is. My writing has been compared to other big name authors by people I’ve had read my stories, but I don’t see my writing style being like those authors.



SM: Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? 

All of my dialogue I use in my stories have either happened to me, and I change them slightly, or have come from hours of daydreaming and creating scenarios in my head what I would’ve have liked to say to people. I use conversations I’ve had to make the story more real to me so I’ll know exactly what to write and how the story should go. Since I write mainly paranormal none of the goings on in my stories have actually happened, though I desperately wish they had happened to me.


SM: If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? 

I would say Michelle Zink, the author of the Prophecy of the Sisters trilogy, and a Temptation of Angels series. She did this thing on Thursdays where we would all send in a sample of writing and then comment on someone else’s writing, giving them feedback, and she would also comment on it. She was the first person to help me realize I have some kind of talent. She hasn’t been there through every minute of the past year, but I know that she is always there in spirit. She is a constant rock for me, and I know that if I ever need her she’d be there to talk me through everything. She’s one of the few authors I know that actually talk to her fans, and that’s what I treasure most about her.


SM: Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest? 

They aren’t new new, but Kendare Blake, the author of Anna Dressed in Blood. I read ADiB a few months ago and just adored it. I never expected that she was going to reveal what she did in that story, so many twists that I had no idea how it was going to end. Her writing is so exciting, never allowing for a dull moment in her book. She’s someone I would keep an eye on, I can see her getting pretty big!

SM: Can you share a little of your current work with us? 

I’m currently working on a trilogy with Cesya Cuono, the author of Elemental Reality. I don’t want to give away too much, since it’s still in the very early stages of development, but it revolves around Greek mythology, and a few very important goddesses. Think of Sweet Venom meets Percy Jackson, with all the twists and turns of the House of Night series.


SM: Do you have any advice for other writers? 

Never give up. I know it’s cliché and something most every author says, but it’s true. No matter how many challenges you have, no matter how many people that tell you can’t, no matter the amount of doubts you have in your mind; never lose sight of what you truly want. It isn’t only talent that helps you, or the story line, it is perseverance that makes someone successful. Never forget what you want, and always remember that you can do it, no matter how many odds are against you. You. Can. Do. It.

SM: Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

If people actually read my stories then I would like to say thank you, above all else. Knowing that other people, excluding my friends and family, have read my work makes me extremely happy and feel very humble. If you liked what you read then I want to say, once again, thank you. It’s a scary thing, to send in your work, and sit at your computer waiting and wondering. So many questions fly through your head, ‘Do they even like it?’, ‘Am I really a good writer, or am I just fooling myself?’, ‘What if they don’t choose it, how will I handle this rejection?’. I’ve have so many heart attacks waiting for replies, and have never had to answer that last question, but I know it’ll come eventually, and I’m prepared for that. So when I get good reviews, or people tell me that I’m a great writer, a part of me takes that in and revels in the feel of it all. To know other people enjoy your work is a feeling that I can’t even describe. Others may get a big head, but me, I become happier with my life and where it’s going. And for the readers of my stories, you’re part of that happiness, something that I have lost over time but am slowly regaining. For that, I am forever in your debt.

SM: What is your favorite type of food? 

I had to choose this question. (SM: Excellent Choice, btw)  I love Italian. Pasta, pizza, calzones, I just love it all. I could live on Olive Gardens’ alfredo for the rest of my life.

Who is your favorite book boyfriend? 

There are so many that I can hardly count, but I must say I have a particular weak spot for emotionally broken men. Something about being able to fix and help someone heal makes me feel all warm. So my book boyfriend I would say would have to be Acheron from Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunters series. Ash is about as broken as you can get, and yet he still acts selflessly even though inside a war is waging. I am absolutely in love with Acheron, and it has nothing to do with that fact he is described as a sex god, even though that plays a part. If you haven’t read the book Acheron, read it, and you’ll why I love him, as there are too many reasons to list.





Places where you can stalk Jana online:







0 comments:

Post a Comment