Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Spotlight on Lisa Goldman Contributing Author in Morbid Seraphic


Hello Fallen Friends,
     

Today we continue with our spotlight on Morbid Seraphic authors. I'm very honored to have Lisa Goldman, the contributing author of the short story Illusions, visiting with us today. Now, on to the interview.

Hi Lisa. I must say that after I read the story Illlusions, I felt there couldn't have been a better title for the story. The characters had motives, goals, were well-layered and I didn't see the end coming at all. I guess it's safe to say that you had me caught up in the Illusion. LOL. This is a great story with a strong message. With so many books for teenagers geared toward glamorizing the one element the main character, Hannah, had to face in this story, it was refreshing to read one that took a different approach.


SM: What inspired you to write your first book?

I haven’t wanted to write since I could pick up a pencil as some authors tell you. In fact, when I was in high school, I was a math geek. I had six credits of math in four years and then went onto college and studied to teach math, which I had for a few years. While in college, I had a fantastic English teacher who inspired me to dabble in writing but it wasn’t until I had my kids that I really started to write. I used to watch a lot of TV in my spare time but I got bored with it. Then I read book after book until one day I woke up and decided to write Black Legacy. I wrote it in third person, took some online writing courses, rewrote it in first person and now, am editing it.

SM: Do you have a specific writing style?

I have two. The first is very simple: I usually write in first person.  The second is related to some of my favorite books.  Think of the Hunger Games, Immortal Instrument or Vampire Academy series where the author leaves a cliffhanger—something so shocking—at the end of a chapter that you can’t put the book down and are still reading in the early morning hours.  I love these types of books and likewise, I try to use this technique in my novels.

SM: How did you come up with the title?

My story in Morbid Seraphic is Illusions. I researched the angel and demons who appear in the book and their names are very specific but as for the title of the story, it didn’t come to me until I finished writing it. As with the definition of illusion, things aren’t as they seem from the beginning of my story but all will be revealed by the end.

SM: Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Often my stories will have a central theme about prejudices, bullying or being true to yourself. Illusions is not an exception. Near the beginning of the story the main character, Hannah, reads a framed inspirational quote that says ‘don’t judge a book by its cover.’ It’s symbolic for the story in more than one way.

SM: What book are you reading now?

Most instances I’m reading more than one book at a time. Currently, that list is only two: Dark Light, an anthology which includes my short story Spider Whisper, and The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest by Stieg Larsson.

SM: What are your current projects?

I have strong outlines for a few short stories and a vaguer one for an anthology that is a collaboration from the authors in the Goodreads Paranormal and Horror Lovers group that I moderate. The anthology’s theme is based on distinct or cultural creatures. I put all of the short stories on hold until I finish editing my novel, Black Legacy, which is loosely based on a demon hunting society made of supernatural beings. I have its sequel, Keeper of the Spirits and part of the third book in the series written. There will be five, possibly six, novels total.

SM: Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I have four children and can tune out a lot of noise.  But finding time when it’s not too loud can sometimes be challenging. At the moment they are all in school but with summer just around the corner, it will be changing. Then I’ll get up insanely early to write.

SM: Do you have any advice for other writers?

If you really want to be an author, keep writing and reading. I have a friend who I met through NaNoWriMo, which is a contest where we try to write a 50,000 word novel in the November. I’ve meet my goal for the past two years. She hadn’t and admitted that she hadn’t fully committed herself.  I often compare her writing instance with a marathon. You need to stayed trained and commit to it each day even if it is only for thirty minutes. Sometimes, when life gets busy this gets hard, but if you strive you will succeed. 


SM: What is your favorite type of food?

My guilty addition is diet coke and chocolate. I don’t go crazy with it but need one of each a day.




Thank you Lisa for taking time to connect with the Seraphine Muse's wonderful readers today. I wish you the best of luck in all of your writing endeavors and feel free to come back and visit us anytime! 



You can stalk Lisa on the following sites …

Goodreads author page:
Goodreads Paranormal and Horror Group page:



1 comments:

Lisa Goldman said...

Thanks for inviting me. Illusions was a fun story to write. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm glad I stopped by. :)

Post a Comment