Monday, May 28, 2012

Introducing Debut Author Nathan Squires


Nathan Squiers (The Literary Dark Prince)

Author of the short story, "S(a)TAN", from S.K. Whiteside's Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing anthology, Morbid Seraphic., as well as the Crimson Shadow series (book #1, "Noir", available now) and Death Metal (debuting from CH&BB in the Fall of 2012).

From Crimson Shadow: Noir's "ABOUT THE AUTHOR":

Nathan Squiers (The Literary Dark Prince) is a resident of upstate New York where he lives with his loving fiancé and two demonic beings that have, for the time being, chosen to disguise themselves as cats (incredibly demanding and out-of-control cats). Living day-by-day on a steady diet of body modification and potentially lethal doses of caffeine, he often escapes reality through novels, comics & manga, movies & anime, and (of course) his own writing. When he's not immersed in the realm of fiction (be it his own or someone else's), he can be found in the chair of a piercing studio/tattoo parlor or reacquainting himself with the real world (more often-than-not against his will). Visit Nathan and find out more about him and his work at www.nathansquiers.com


Let's Take a Moment to Get to Know the Literary Dark Prince

SM: Do you have a specific writing style?

~I'd say I write in a very visually gritty style. Life rarely is straight-forward and clean, and I see no reason to soften punches or tone down situations to numb just how gruesome things can get. I feel that readers understand this and, to some extent, feel cheated when an author cushions a situation simply to avoid offending them (in many ways, that's an even greater insult--to assume that people need to be protected from what they know in their hearts to be an undeniable truth). The same can be said for characters. People swear, people bleed, people are insane and tortured and sadistic. There's no reason to paint pictures of the perfect character, because if they're spotless in appearance and in psyche, chances are they have no history (and EVERYONE has a history). That being said, reality can be a tad boring, so I like to spice it up with a little supernatural gnarliness ;-)

SM: Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
~I always approach a story with a theme or lesson that can be ascertained while reading it. For my story with Morbid Seraphic, "S(a)TAN", I wanted to take an otherwise mysterious character from my Crimson Shadow series and give him a dark backstory that mimicked biblical lore, but glorified who normally would be construed as the villain.
The idea of abandoning one's faith and community often elicits a negative response, and most (especially those with religious or social ties) may feel victimized in the process. However, with "S(a)TAN", I wanted to reverse the stereotypical perspective of "right" and "wrong".
One of the biggest things I've learned as a writer is that anybody can be made into a hero and anybody can be made into a villain, it's all a matter of who gets the spotlight in the story being told. I wanted to show a social pariah and a religious outcast as a hero.

SM: What are your current projects?
~I'm currently working on polishing the manuscript for book #2 of the Crimson Shadow series as well as some short stories that are tied in with the series. Outside of the series, I have the first book of Death Metal to (*ahem*) revamp, as well as a sequel to plan for it. Then, as always, are my comic book scripts.

SM: Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
~My writing is very visual and inspired by the stylized movements in anime and comic books. Because of this, I often find myself searching for the proper sequence of words to depict the scene I see in my mind onto the page.

SM: Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?
~Only in my mind.
           SM:  That's quite all right. We're all armchair travelers at some point. :-D

SM: Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
~I'd say that my writing teaches me to see the world from other perspectives. I know that sounds sort of obvious, but it's always enlightening to experience an event--even if it's scripted--through a different point of view. I feel very blessed in that regard; not many can live multiple lives at such a young age.

SM: Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
~I'd want to let all my readers know that they're my reason for every word I write. Writing saved my life a while ago, and I vowed that it was what I was going to do with the time it had bought me. As any artist will tell you, they work for their audience, so any who read my work represent a portion of my purpose. Because I don't believe in calling my readers "fans"--a term I've always disliked--I'm honored to call any who follow my work as members of "The Legion" (playing along with The Literary Dark Prince theme). That said, I welcome any and all to be a part of The Legion.

SM: What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing it to life?
~About two-years' worth of paranormal and mythological research was spent in developing the creatures in the Crimson Shadow universe. Past that, I had to do some research in biology and psychology to be sure things were realistic in how I approached telling the story. For "S(a)TAN", I needed to study and map-out the sequences and themes associated with biblical lore.

SM: Do you have a song that you'd consider the theme for your novel?
~For Crimson Shadow: Noir, I'd have to say it's a tossup between Chevelle's "The Red" and Hollywood Undead's "I Don't Wanna Die". For "S(a)TAN", I'd have to say the best song would be "I'm Only Human Sometimes" by William Control.




Thank you Nathan for visiting the Seraphine Muse today. I'm happy to have you as my co-contributor in the Morbid Seraphic anthology and wish you all the success with the Crimson Shadow Series. Be sure and take come back tomorrow to meet the lovely Lisa Goldman, contributing author of the short story Illusions.


Where to find Nathan"s Works online: http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Squiers/e/B006N3KCMY/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Purchase Morbid Seraphic: http://www.amazon.com/Morbid-Seraphic-ebook/dp/B007YXIR74/ref=tmm_kin_title_popover?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1338202389&sr=1-1

0 comments:

Post a Comment