Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Interview & Spotlight with Deadly Eyes Author Michael Meyer

Making Connections Presents


A HAUNTING CARIBBEAN MYSTERY

James Cuffy, better known as Cuff, is living in paradise with his girlfriend, on the small Caribbean island of St. Croix, where the sky is as blue as Cuff's eyes, the ocean as pretty as Rosie's cheeks, where the gentle lapping of the waves is a lullaby, and the swaying of the palm trees is a dance. The sandy beaches are as white as sugar, and the horizon is a world away. St. Croix indeed is paradise, the perfect place for living, laughing, and loving.

But the sandy beaches and the turquoise sea can provide no cover from the deadly eyes of the unknown stalker pursuing Cuff. Murder leads to murder as he attempts to untangle the terrible web in which he has suddenly become entangled.

The twists and turns are relentless, the roads of the fast action leading in all directions, but time is running out, and Cuff, his faithful Rosie at his side, knows it.

TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWLBtVDUdC4


EXCERPT of DEADLY EYES:
These were not naked eyes, for the distance between these eyes and the beach bar at Cathy’s Fancy was too great for the naked eye to discern who was who. No, these eyes had planned meticulously. The eyes were glued to a pair of terribly expensive and unbelievably powerful Swarovski Optik binoculars. The balcony on which they now worked, taking in the scene before them, was the perfect place to see but not be seen. The powerful binoculars saw to that.

The distance, the palm trees, and the rays of the sun all helped. The position had been hand picked, after careful consideration. Every angle had been considered, and, one by one, they had all been discarded for one reason or another until this very spot, the perfect place to observe while not being observed, had been selected.

Yes, the eyes had seen it all. The eyes had seen precisely what they had hoped to see. They were like a master puppeteer. They planned, controlled, and observed, but from a safe distance. They did not miss a trick.

The eyes. The deadly eyes of St. Croix.

A Little about Michael Meyer:

I have resided in and have visited many places in the world, all of which have contributed in some way to my own published writing. I have literally traveled throughout the world, on numerous occasions. I have lived in Finland, Germany, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, on the island of St. Croix, where DEADLY EYES is set. I gained the wanderlust to see the world, to experience other cultures, at an early age, and this desire has never left me. If anything, it has only gained in intensity as I have aged. I try to travel internationally at least once a year. In the interim, I spend lots of time traveling around both my home state of California and other nearby states.

I spent my early years in the small town of Lone Pine, California, the home of almost every western movie, in addition to a wide variety of other genres, made in the 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s. In fact, Hollywood still films parts of big-time movies there today. My dad, the town’s lifeguard at the time, personally knew John Wayne, Lloyd Bridges, and Lee Marvin, all of whom came to the town’s pool, the Memorial Plunge, at times to cool off after a hectic day of working in the sun. I was even an extra in a movie filmed there in 1957, MONOLITH MONSTERS, a B-cult favorite even today. I was ten years old at the time. Even though I resided in a small town hours from the big city, I was exposed to the excitement of action and heroes at a formative age, and, thus, my interest in writing novels of suspense such as DEADLY EYES was born.

As a recent retiree from a forty-year career as a professor of writing, I now live in Southern California wine country with my wife, Kitty, and our two other cats.



And now for something special. An interview with our spotlighted author!

How did you come up with the title? DEADLY EYES, I believe, is the perfect title for my Caribbean mystery. Life is indeed paradise on the small Caribbean island of St. Croix for Cuff, a laid-back transplant from the states, and his feisty girlfriend, Rosie, until the eyes of an unknown stalker ruthlessly pursue him for an unknown, but very deadly, reason.


Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? Everything I write about comes from my own head, but bits and pieces of people, events, and places I have known have found a home in my books. I was an English professor at the University of the Virgin Islands, St. Croix campus, for four years, and I literally fell completely in love with the Caribbean, the calypso and reggae, the swaying palm tress, the white sandy beaches, and the casual island lifestyle. It is the perfect place to set a haunting mystery.

What books have most influenced your life most? I am a very eclectic reader. Most probably everything I have read has had some type of influence on me.

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members. I love life, and I try to live to the absolute fullest. I have traveled extensively throughout the world, having lived in a wide variety of places in the world: Asia, the Middle East, Europe, and the Caribbean. Every place I have visited has had some impact on me and on what ends up in my books.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? I miss terribly interacting with Cuff and Rosie, the main characters of DEADLY EYES, on a daily basis. I loved creating the repartee that comes between them. Though romantically linked, they remind me in a way of Maureen O’Hara and John Wayne, she being able to stand up to him in a way that most others could not. If I had to change anything, I would slow down the writing process, not wanting to come to the finish line. I miss them, but they are now happily living with their siblings on Amazon Kindle.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? I hate to come to the end of a book. I feel as if each of my books is my baby, and when they leave my nest, it saddens me, though I know that they have to now live on their own.

Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)? I have traveled extensively throughout my entire life. There are few counties that I have not visited. The settings and locales of all of my novels are true. For instance, all of the local color in DEADLY EYES, and there is a lot, is authentic, since I actually lived on the island of St. Croix.

What was the hardest part of writing your book? Saying goodbye to it. I love the actual act of writing. I have never felt that it was work. I hope to write until I die. I love working with language, bringing people and places alive.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? For DEADLY EYS, I learned, and I am speaking the honest truth here, that I fell madly in love with Cuff’s girlfriend, Rosie. She is sexy, smart, feisty, and quite independent.
Do you have any advice for other writers? Write what you would like to read, and be a reader as you write, not knowing precisely where things will lead in the end. Enjoy yourself. Have fun.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? The lifeblood for an Indie writer such as myself is word-of-mouth advertising. If you like my work, please let others know. Post reviews on my Amazon site and anywhere else you deem appropriate. I am a writer, not a salesperson. I am not very good at tooting my own horn. I depend upon others to toot for me. I have just set up a new Pinterest author’s page, and I would love to have readers repin my pins: http://pinterest.com/temmike/#

Do you have a song that you'd consider the theme for your novel? DEADLY EYES is a Caribbean mystery. If any one song could be used as a theme, it would be the Bob Marley classic, “Three Little Birds,” which, by the way, make it into DEADLY EYES. “Don’t worry, about a thing. Every little thing is going to be all right….”

BOOK LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Eyes-ebook/dp/B007IO3O22/ref=lp_B005E7M8CW_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335801699&sr=1-1

WHERE YOU CAN FIND Michael Online:
Amazon author’s site: http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Meyer/e/B005E7M8CW/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/674626.Mike_Meyer

Facebook writers’s site: https://www.facebook.com/MichaelMeyersWritingLife/app_191387770912394








   

0 comments:

Post a Comment